As I predicted long ago, social technology is increasingly important, and it is changing the world. My view is that the unique problems of social tech software can be solved only by addressing several important goals:
- Privacy for all users must be guaranteed. Even the worst people in our society must have the protection of extreme privacy and security. No longer possible!
- Software must be open source — not only for the usual reasons, but so that users can verify that it does indeed guaranteed their privacy.
- Data output by this software must have checksums or even more powerful indicators which record its progress through various stages of processing and verify that it is indeed the product of the recorded software.
- To prevent the users from editing their own data so as to fictionalize their personal profiles.
- To prevent users from seeking others of high error-covariance. It should be easy for a thief to form a close relationship with an honest person, but difficult to form one with another thief or “partner in crime”.
It will be very very difficult satisfy these goals.